[svlug] Code walkthrough notes

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Fri Nov 9 16:18:08 PST 2007

Julie Hill wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Nov 9, 2007 12:13 PM, Paul Reiber wrote:
>> Within a few months, the group will be prepared and knowledgeable
>> enough to be guided
>> by 'domain experts' both from within our own ranks and from the
>> outside world.
>
> I know you mean well and I appreciate all that you're doing, but I
> find this disappointing and condescending. I can't speak for others,
> but I was ready on Tuesday to seriously look at the kernel internals.
> This is not an SVLUG meeting where you need to cater to an audience
> with a wide range of skill levels. This was advertised as a kernel
> code walk-through, which I believe implies some level of ability to
> read and understand kernel code. I may be wrong, but I have a lot of
> confidence in the group, and I think most of the people who attended
> Tuesday night were well aware of what they were signing up for.
>
> Would it be possible to pick a topic and put out a call to the members
> for people who can speak on that on Tuesday? It doesn't have to be
> perfect. A team of people could speak initially to take the pressure
> off any one individual.
>
> One idea that someone mentioned to me was that we could have one
> meeting where a specific kernel topic was presented and homework
> assigned. Then the next few meetings after that would be follow ups to
> cover additional details, time for discussions, question and answer
> sessions, help with homework, etc.
>
> The advantage of that sort of schedule being that it takes pressure
> off as far as needing a very knowledgeable speaker for every meeting
> and also encourages more audience involvement.
>

>> I've got a number of calls out via various channels to find leaders
>> for next years sessions. Some
>> of the people we're approaching are pretty big names in the Linux
>> community. I don't want
>> to say much more than that, since I can't make any promises at this point.
>>

> Having kernel rock stars speak to us would be absolutely terrific, but
> I don't think there's any reason that we should have to wait for that
> before diving into the kernel internals. We have a lot of talent
> within our group already, and there are a lot of other people we could
> recruit who aren't rock stars, but still have a lot they could
> contribute.
>
> Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help make these
> meetings a success.
> Julie

Julie,

Thank you very much for sending this out. I concur
and agree with your thoughts, suggestions, and
offer 100%.

I invite everyone saying they were interested in the
Linux kernel code walk-through to join in and
participate in making the code walk-through beneficial
and worthwhile - giving participants an understanding
or better understanding of the Linux kernel.

If you know someone who is knowledgeable on some
portion of the kernel please invite them to come
lead a session.

What topic do people want to cover first?

I think there were people at last Tuesdays meeting
who did not get an opportunity to speak who are
familiar with the kernel. I ask them to step
forward on the list and offer to give an overview
or offer to delve into kernel code.

There are some of us asking well known speakers if
they have the time and interest to lead some sessions.
If we get responses, I'll make sure it gets posted to
the list.

Someone said they'd contact Andrew Morton.
I emailed James Ready.
I think there might be other names too.

Is everyone on the svlug volunteers list that is
involved with the Linux kernel code walk-through
also on the regular svlug list? I prefer not to
send out two emails but don't want to leave anyone
out of the mix.

Thank you,

Darlene Wallach