[svlug] [volunteers] Great initial meeting last night

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Wed Nov 7 15:41:34 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 03:14:23PM -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:
# Paul Reiber wrote:
# > Hi Leslie!
# >
# > Last night went really well. Attendance was through the roof - we had well
# > over 50 people there. I was floored. Thanks for your help - it looks like this
# > initiative will turn into something longer-term, real, and useful.
# > That's awesome.
#
# I do not concur that the first meeting for the
# Linux kernel code walk-thru went really well.
# It was very generous of Warren to step in but
# we needed someone who knows the kernel to have

Yes, it could have been more instructional. However there are several
very important things that did happen.

First, and I cannot stress the importance of this enough, is that the
meeting did happen. I expect that the walkthrough will follow a
similar arc as Linux did itself. When I first started using it in '93
or thereabouts, it pretty much did what I needed, but was a bit rough
around the edges. As more people used it, and contributed, it grew and
matured into something very useful to a lot of people. We have to
start someplace, and the most important thing is to start.

As with so many open source projects, we cannot rely on people who
already know how to do it, to do it, so we've got to do the best we
can. I do agree that it would be helpful to have someone more clueful
to at least get us started with the overview, but as long as we put
effort in, we'll learn and eventually become those cluefull people
ourselves.

Paul's technique of encouraging people who want to learn something in
particular to be the one to lead exploring that topic is probably a
good one. Unfortunately, the person who wants to learn something may
not always be the one who has the time to learn enough about it to
teach it, but once we get to the point of actually looking at code,
they can at least be the one to drive the computer attached to the
projector.

It is also important that as we go along, one thing that we'll learn
is what doesn't work. Or what doesn't work as well as it
should. Somthing is only a failure if we find out that it doesn't
work, and don't try to do it any better.

I'd say that last night's talk boiled down to about 15 minutes worth
of actual instructional material. That's still 15 important minutes
that we wouldn't have gotten without last night's talk.

--
       Too much of a good thing is better than too much of a bad thing.