[svlug] [volunteers] Great initial meeting last night

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Wed Nov 7 15:14:23 PST 2007

Paul Reiber wrote:
> Hi Leslie!
>
> Last night went really well. Attendance was through the roof - we had well
> over 50 people there. I was floored. Thanks for your help - it looks like this
> initiative will turn into something longer-term, real, and useful.
> That's awesome.

I do not concur that the first meeting for the
Linux kernel code walk-thru went really well.
It was very generous of Warren to step in but
we needed someone who knows the kernel to have
provided some kind of overview. I'm still
wondering why the person who raised his hand
saying he knew the kernel wasn't asked if he'd
be willing to give an overview.

> Warren mentioned that we should try to ensure that we can get one of
> the tech talk rooms for these events going forward, rather than the
> original room you had scheduled.

We definitely need one of the larger meeting rooms
if the same number of people show up next week.

> By the way, Warren was instrumentally helpful last night, and led the group
> through an introductory / directory-level overview of the kernel source.

It was very nice of Warren to step in but we need
someone who knows the kernel to speak, give an
overview, suggest which areas to cover first, etc.

> I'm hopeful that at least some of the footage captured will be useful... and
> I know we'll get better in that respect going forward as well; once we're
> spelunking deep into the kernel, the content should prove more interesting.

I suggest not posting any of the video captured
Tuesday evening. I don't see that is useful for
people expecting to learn about the Linux kernel.

> At least a half-dozen participants personally thanked me for setting this up
> and making it happen, so I want to pass that same thanks onto you and Warren
> as well.  You guys rock!
>
> SVLUG's monthly meeting is this evening... hope to see you there, or
> at next Tuesday's
> kernel walkthru...
>
> Best regards,
> -Paul Reiber

My own thoughts.

Does anyone of any university/college level kernel
courses that have video available to the general
public for viewing and downloading?

Does anyone know people who know the kernel that
would be willing to come give an overview and
cover some sections/areas of the kernel?

Thank you,

Darlene Wallach