[svlug] Open Source Geek Squad Alternative

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Nov 7 12:55:20 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 11:08:55AM -0500, vprasad1 vprasad1 wrote:
> What Open Source oriented Geek Squad type services exist here in the Valley area?

It's not a business, and not in the Silicon Valley, but the
Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD) has the "Linux Emergency Relief Team"
(LERT, a pun on CERT):

  http://www.lugod.org/lert/

It's volunteer-based housecalls for folks with Linux probs that are too
urgent to wait for the next Installfest, or for getting help via mailing lists,
which I guess is kind of what Geek Squad is.[*]

[*] When they're not searching for porn on your hard drive or pirating
    software: :^)
    - "Best Buy's 'Geek Squad' Accused of Pirating Software'

    - "Consumerist Catches Geek Squad Stealing Porn From Customer's Computer"
      http://consumerist.com/consumer/investigations/video-consumerist-catches-geek-squad-stealing-porn-from-customers-computer-271963.php

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com