[svlug] Please read and respond - I suggest postponing 1st code walk-thru mtg

Tejas Kokje tejas.kokje at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 18:13:02 PST 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 18:30, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a concern that we are not ready to start
> the Linux kernel code walk-through meetings. I
> want to make sure we are putting the very generous
> offer of Google to host us to the best possible use.
> I also want to make sure we are making the best use
> of our time to participate and have our meetings
> filmed.

> I have not seen a syllabus/curriculum for the
> upcoming Linux kernel code walk-through.

> I assert we should have a suggested
> syllabus/curriculum, which specific kernel code
> we will use, a specific editor, etc. so that
> everyone is looking at the same code and seeing
> the same line numbers - this would seem to especially
> benefit people who will view via the video. What
> else should be common for everyone? What am I not
> listing?
>
> I suggest we have a link on svlug.org which lists
> everything so that people who want to participate
> can look there to see where we are - what we have
> covered, what we plan on covering (in case they
> want to come to a specific meeting).
>
> Are there people interested in the code walk-through
> that want to propose different aspects? If different
> people take on the tasks it won't all land in the
> hands of one person. I assume most people have day
> jobs, family/relationship responsibilities. So most
> people will not have a lot of extra time on their
> hands.
>
> Are there people who concur with my assertions and
> suggestions?
>
> Are there people who offer to take on doing some of
> the work?
>   - which specific kernel should we use
>   etc.

Darlene,

For curriculum, how about following chapter order of one of the published
kernel books like "Understanding the Linux Kernel" ?  We need not to follow
it strictly, but it can always act as a guideline.

As for kernel version, how about 2.6.23 since it has new CFS scheduler ? We
all will be on same page if we get same kernel. Something from kernel.org.
Like

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.23.tar.gz

If I understand correctly, this tarball is not going to change even when
future versions of kernels are released.

For editor, I don't think it matters. Good old vi with ctags will do it (yeah,
emacs users ..flame me). Everybody is free to use whatever they like.

I strongly feel that we should meet on Tuesday. If not for kernel
walkthroughs, atleast to discuss about the issues you raised. We can divide
responsibilites when we all meet. First meeting can remind us of first day of
course at school (only discuss logistics, course overview etc with dates for
midterms & finals :-D)

I think discussing these issues asynchronously through mailing list might not
be the best way and end up taking more time.

Everybody else, chime in.

Tejas Kokje