[svlug] kubuntu 7.10 on laptops

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Nov 3 09:17:14 PST 2007

Marco Walther writes:
> On Friday 02 November 2007 19:26:00 Larry Colen (phone) wrote:
> > It's a thinkpad T-41.
>
> I've similar problems with a T60p:-( Switching between wireless & wired &
> wireless again does not really work:-( Suspend makes it even worse:-(
[ ... ]
> But I'm not sure, what part of the system is the cause of the networking
> problems. I still have the latest kernel from 7.04 but even when I boot that,
> it's not improving:-(

I've been seeing this flakiness since upgrading to feisty (edgy
and dapper worked fine) but I thought it was a problem with their
udev cardbus support. Since you're both seeing it with integrated
networking, I guess that rules that out.  And indeed, I don't have
problems with my cardbus wired networking card, just the wireless.

I've made an alias netrestart="sudo /etc/init.d/network restart"
becaue I have to do this so often on resuming from suspend.
That usually gets the network going again.

But I've had no luck in figuring out why it no longer happens
automatically starting from card insertion or suspend/resume.
Back in the hotplug days it was fairly easy to trace what was
happening as one script passed control along to the next, and it
was easy to add echo statements to find out what arguments were
being passed. But I haven't found any documentation of where the
flow of control goes in udev or ubuntu's suspend system, and at
least in the udev case, it's all binaries so there's no option of
sticking in debugging lines.

Anybody found any tips to debuugging udev or suspend/resume problems?

	...Akkana