[svlug] SVLUG list spam police policy
reiber at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 12:56:43 PST 2007
Yesterday a few messages hit the list that really shouldn't have. One of
them was from me, and I apologize for that - it probably should have been
SVLUG's mailing list has a very high signal-to-noise ratio, and I'd like to
ensure it stays high. With that in mind, please refrain from chastising or
reprimanding posters on-list. These sorts of emails, and replies to them,
can quickly become worse than the original (imagined or real) offense.
If you feel you absolutely must chastize or reprimand someone for what
they have posted to the SVLUG list, please...
- reconsider, knowing SVLUGs volunteer staff will handle any real problems
- be sure to mention that you do NOT represent SVLUG
- be aware that your words might contradict an SVLUG volunteer or officer
- be aware you may simply be adding confusion to an otherwise managed situation
- most important - please do not share your message to the "offender"
with the entire SVLUG list. Send the message off-list if you must
send it at all.
I can't stress this last point enough - the SVLUG mailinglists aren't
a place for
public chastisement or reprimands. I apologize for doing that myself (though
it was sort of recursive - chastizing about chastizing.)
If you'd like to discuss this policy with me, please email me
privately. This is _not_ the beginning of a discussion thread, so
please don't reply to the list regarding it.
More information about the svlug