[svlug] real basic wireless access question!!

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Jun 5 09:45:55 PDT 2007

Michael Cheselka writes:
> Scan for open ESSIDs and sort by signal strength:
>
> iwlist ath0 scan | egrep 'ESSID|Quality=|Encryption key:off' | tr -s '
> ' | tr -d '\n' | sed -e 's/ ESSID/\nESSID/g' | egrep off | sort -t= -k
> 2n

Related question: with my prism54 card, when I iwlist eth0 scan,
I only see ten or fifteen networks. Amazingly enough, in downtown
Mountain View, that's nowhere near the whole list, and if I run
iwlist eth0 scan five times in a row, I'll get five different
lists, with some overlap. Is there a way to get the whole list of
available networks? Is it a function of the wireless card driver
(e.g. something atheros can do while prism54 can't?)

	...Akkana