[svlug] In need of a quiet power supply...

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Mon Apr 30 15:44:24 PDT 2007

On 4/30/07, Bill-Schoolcraft <bill at wiliweld.com> wrote:
> Just got a new PC at home, it's noisy and was wondering if anyone
> can share some experience here.  I just read about a "fanless"
> power-supply and then realized I needed some input.

PCs can be noisy for many reasons, and while going fanless will most
likely make it less noisy, it's also much more expensive, and requires
much more attention to detail.  In all likelihood, you could just
replace the power supply with a less noisy one and be perfectly happy.
 Of course, that won't help if it's really the CPU fan or northbridge
fan or video card fan which is causing the noise ...

My main approach is to go with large fans, running slowly.  80mm or
120mm fan in the power supply, likewise for CPU fan, 120mm exhaust
fan, and a motherboard with no northbridge fan.  I don't need 3D
graphics, so my video cards are also fanless.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/ is a reasonable resource for info.
http://www.quietpcusa.com/ will sell you stuff.

You could also hop over to Frys and get an Antec Neo HE, which is
supposed to be efficient and quiet.

-scott