[svlug] Centos 5

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Apr 19 12:06:16 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 09:53:51AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> >
> > Yeah. They had the mirrors up prior to the announcement. This version 5
> > has a lot of cool technology in it. (smiles ;)
>
> Well, if you're familiar with Fedora 6, it's awfully similar. I suspect
> a lot of binaries compiled on FC6 work out of the box on CentOS 5.
>
> --
> Florin Andrei
>
> http://florin.myip.org/

Hi folks,

Yes I am familiar with FCs. RHEL5 Beta 1 was a derivative of
FC5. RHEL5 Beta 2 was a derivative of FC6. So, yes RHEL5 is
very similar to FC6.

But, I wouldn't go to far with the assumption. I have been
working with Red Hat distributions for 8 years. And they
are quite crafty. They hold back key patches until very
late on important packages. So, those probably will differ
from the base FC6 distribution. I am certain you would
find some instances of this, if you took the time to
go through all the key enterprise enabling packages.

Thanks,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer