[svlug] ISP blocks port 25

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 16 10:44:17 PDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:59:46 -0600 Skip Evans wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I just switched my home ISP from Qwest to Bresnan
>on a cable modem, and also discovered they block
>port 25 on their home accounts so I am unable to
>connect to my SMTP server here in the office on
>port 25 to receive mail.

Receive mail?  Perhaps you mean send?

>What is the most common workaround for this? Do I
>just move the mail server to a different port?

I'd suggest running it on the 'submission' port (587) in addition to
port 25.  Seems like most ISPs in my experience (admittedly few) don't
block 587.  If you're using postfix, it's as easy as uncommenting one
line in /etc/postfix/master.cf and restarting the daemon.

	-brian