[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Apr 14 14:07:44 PDT 2007

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:29:39 +0000 (UTC)
Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at ...> writes:

> > It seems they *DON'T* exactly behave as an rs232 since I haven't
> > been able to use the dongle to connect to the emulator (I did try
> > on windows with the newest drivers from the manufacturer of the
> > dongle and the manufacturer of the chip too).

> There are known problems with even the latest Windows drivers for
> certain chipsets. Try the same dongle under GNU/Linux, and it will
> very likely "just work."

Unfortunately the software part of the emulator was Windows only. I
didn't succeed to make it work under wine.
Everything seemed to work... with the exception of the serial.

Error messages were the same one observed running the program
under Windows. Not enough to say that the culprit was still the
hardware, but...

BTW... is there a family of cpu for embedded development of similar
class of st6, microchip pic16, atmel avr 8bit or even as large as avr
32bit that have development tools under Linux?
Is there a place where to have information about embedded
development on Linux... that doesn't mean that the embedded cpu have
to run Linux, but that I can find development tools on Linux
(assembler, C compiler, debugger, emulator soft etc...)?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it