[svlug] 3ware degrades linux performance in new firmware

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Apr 5 11:50:15 PDT 2007

begin Joe Buck quotation of Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:39:08AM -0700:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:32:42AM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> > In the latest 3ware firmware, 3ware has decided to degrade ext3
> > performance:
>
> >     Improved CIFS performance
> > 	The firmware has been tuned to greatly increase performance with
> > 	CIFS (Common Internet File System) protocol. However, this has
> > 	resulted in performance with the Linux ext3 file system that is
> > 	slower than earlier releases. We recommend that you use other Linux
> > 	file systems, such as XFS.
>
> My guess is that they tried to optimize performance as a Windows/Samba
> server, and only realized late in development that it hurt ext3.
> No one tries to get worse on purpose, but optimizing one thing often
> hurts other things.

What about this am I not getting?  CIFS isn't a
filesystem, it's a protocol for accessing files
over a network.  Maybe they mean they improved NTFS
performance at the expense of ext3?

And isn't it still unsafe to run XFS on a system
without a power-fail interrupt?

  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/reiserfs.html

--
Don Marti