[svlug] 3ware degrades linux performance in new firmware

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Thu Apr 5 09:39:08 PDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:32:42AM -0400, Walt Reed wrote:
> In the latest 3ware firmware, 3ware has decided to degrade ext3
> performance:

>     Improved CIFS performance
> 	The firmware has been tuned to greatly increase performance with
> 	CIFS (Common Internet File System) protocol. However, this has
> 	resulted in performance with the Linux ext3 file system that is
> 	slower than earlier releases. We recommend that you use other Linux
> 	file systems, such as XFS.

My guess is that they tried to optimize performance as a Windows/Samba
server, and only realized late in development that it hurt ext3.
No one tries to get worse on purpose, but optimizing one thing often
hurts other things.