[svlug] 3ware degrades linux performance in new firmware

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Thu Apr 5 06:32:42 PDT 2007

Saw this on the Centos list, but considering 3ware is a local company, I
thought I would mention it here too.

In the latest 3ware firmware, 3ware has decided to degrade ext3
performance:

    Improved CIFS performance
	The firmware has been tuned to greatly increase performance with
	CIFS (Common Internet File System) protocol. However, this has
	resulted in performance with the Linux ext3 file system that is
	slower than earlier releases. We recommend that you use other Linux
	file systems, such as XFS.

Full release notes here:
http://www.3ware.com/download/Escalade9650SE-Series/9.4.1/9.4.1_Release_Notes_Web.pdf

Are they NUTS?!?!? Why they HECK would they intentionally degrade Linux
performance? Do they want to kill their linux market completely?
Worse, they recommend a file system that is not even AVAILABLE on the
leading commercially supported version of Linux (Red Hat.)

I have a number of 3ware cards and have been recommending them to
others, but now I can't / won't do that.