[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

Tim Utschig tim at tetro.net
Tue Apr 3 23:33:30 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 02:48:25AM -0700, John Conover wrote:
> Jeff Walter writes:
> > John,
> >
> >      I've used an Airlink 101 with Linux before and it behaved like a normal
> > serial port.  Now, as to having them retain their ttys number, it would probably
> > work if you powered off, plugged them all in, and then power in.  So long as
> > your ports/hubs come on in the same order, you should be fine.  Keep in mind,
> > that is a BIG "if".
> >

> Thanks, Jeff. The BIG "if" is what I was worried about.
>
> I just picked up a couple, ($3 each,) on EBay, and will see how it
> goes. I use HW flow control, and don't know whether things will work
> out-but 6 bucks, it won't be that big a loss.

I've been using an Airlink 101 for about a year now to configure various
network devices, and to connect to Linux machines' standard PC serial
port consoles via a "null modem cable".

Originally I bought the cheapest USB->serial adapter I could find at
Fry's, and it had some weird problem where the last line of output
wouldn't display until I pressed enter.  I played with the flow control
and all the stty settings I could dig up but nothing fixed it.  Then I
when I went out and bought the Airlink 101 and haven't had a single
problem since.

As Ivan mentioned you'll have to look into udev scripts to set up a
constant symlink to the right device.  The Bus & Device ID's (as shown
in lsusb) should remain constant as long as the devices are plugged in
in the same places.  I assume that info should be available to udev
scripts.

--
   - Tim Utschig <tim at tetro.net>