[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

Lisa svlug at flygirl.com
Tue Apr 3 06:55:53 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 02:18:15AM -0700, John Conover wrote:

> The reason for the question is that I need to consolidate a
> bunch of serial stuff from a bunch of machines into one
> machine, and was thinking of serial/USB dongles as an
> alternative to putting in a multi-port RS232 card.
>
> Do you know of any way they can be made to boot up as the same
> device in /dev/usb/* so I don't have to piddle with dmesg and
> then set the port in the RS232 programs?

I may have a similar problem coming up and found this device
that someone else told me he is using successfully:

http://www.vscom.de/produkte/vscom_usb-8comi-rm.html

I know that it is available from a US supplier, but I don't have
that info with me right now.  If you notice under "drivers", it
says "Linux (Kernel 2.4 and up built-in)," which gave me lots of
hope. :-)  I also found out that the drivers' source is
available for dowload (I believe it's part of this package:
http://www.vscom.de/download/multiio/linux/driver/2.4.XX/USB-Linux.zip)

If this is for a personal project, the cost may be a little
higher than you want to go (I seem to recall it was in the $300
range).  But it is nice in that, IIRC, *each* of the 8 ports can
e used as RS232, RS422, or RS485.

When I get to the point where I need to be controlling the
serial devices at work with the single (2 serial port only) device
that I am using, this is going to be the first item I look at
because I will likely need all 8 ports.

Anyhow, I hope that's of some use to you.

Lisa