[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Tue Apr 3 02:48:25 PDT 2007

Jeff Walter writes:
> John Conover wrote:
> > Thanks, Ivan. That's what I wanted to know.
> >
> > The reason for the question is that I need to consolidate a bunch of
> > serial stuff from a bunch of machines into one machine, and was
> > thinking of serial/USB dongles as an alternative to putting in a
> > multi-port RS232 card.
> >
> > Do you know of any way they can be made to boot up as the same device
> > in /dev/usb/* so I don't have to piddle with dmesg and then set the
> > port in the RS232 programs?
>

> John,
>
>      I've used an Airlink 101 with Linux before and it behaved like a normal
> serial port.  Now, as to having them retain their ttys number, it would probably
> work if you powered off, plugged them all in, and then power in.  So long as
> your ports/hubs come on in the same order, you should be fine.  Keep in mind,
> that is a BIG "if".

Thanks, Jeff. The BIG "if" is what I was worried about.

I just picked up a couple, ($3 each,) on EBay, and will see how it
goes. I use HW flow control, and don't know whether things will work
out-but 6 bucks, it won't be that big a loss.

    Thanks, Jeff,

    John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/