[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Tue Apr 3 02:18:15 PDT 2007

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo writes:
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:54:43 -0700
> conover at rahul.net (John Conover) wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used any of the RS232->USB dongles? Do they look like an
> > RS232 port under /dev/usb/* that can be used by serial programs,
> > like getty/mgetty, etc.?
>
> I tried to use one to connect to a cpu emulator.
>
> It seems they *DON'T* exactly behave as an rs232 since I haven't been
> able to use the dongle to connect to the emulator (I did try on
> windows with the newest drivers from the manufacturer of the dongle
> and the manufacturer of the chip too).
>
> It worked with an old USR modem.
>
> It was a sitecom dongle *-116.
>
> I've heard that if you need a true rs232, PCMCIA cards should do the
> job. I didn't have reasons to investigate further.
>
> BTW dmesg will tell you where the device come up, but yes it comes up
> as something as /dev/USB... and apparently you can use it with getty,
> minicom etc...

Thanks, Ivan. That's what I wanted to know.

The reason for the question is that I need to consolidate a bunch of
serial stuff from a bunch of machines into one machine, and was
thinking of serial/USB dongles as an alternative to putting in a
multi-port RS232 card.

Do you know of any way they can be made to boot up as the same device
in /dev/usb/* so I don't have to piddle with dmesg and then set the
port in the RS232 programs?

    Thanks again, Ivan,

    John

--