[svlug] RS232->USB dongle?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Apr 3 01:57:35 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 23:54:43 -0700
conover at rahul.net (John Conover) wrote:

> Has anyone used any of the RS232->USB dongles? Do they look like an
> RS232 port under /dev/usb/* that can be used by serial programs,
> like getty/mgetty, etc.?

I tried to use one to connect to a cpu emulator.

It seems they *DON'T* exactly behave as an rs232 since I haven't been
able to use the dongle to connect to the emulator (I did try on
windows with the newest drivers from the manufacturer of the dongle
and the manufacturer of the chip too).

It worked with an old USR modem.

It was a sitecom dongle *-116.

I've heard that if you need a true rs232, PCMCIA cards should do the
job. I didn't have reasons to investigate further.

BTW dmesg will tell you where the device come up, but yes it comes up
as something as /dev/USB... and apparently you can use it with getty,
minicom etc...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it