[svlug] Unified Password Protection for Multiple Services

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 06:48:10 PDT 2007

2007/4/2, Benjamin Floering <floering at ieee.org>:
> Chris,
>
> Yup, you can do it all using .htaccess and it would go something like:
>
> AuthUserFile /path/to/your/htpasswd/file
> AuthName "Your Website"
> AuthType Basic
> Require valid-user
>
> and then proceed to add users using htpasswd (or htpasswd2 as it is on my
> gentoo boxen) and running man htpasswd (or htpasswd2) will tell you how to
> do it easily.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the htpasswd script.  I built a small
PHP-based administrator page to add users to the htpasswd file without
having to use SSH or PuTTY (which many system administrators don't
appreciate my using on their networks).  I know it's not much of a
security risk at all, but it's 'cause they're weird, not me.

> I have never done this with .htaccess tho but in theory it should work.  In
> my httpd.conf I have "DAV svn" and an SVNParentPath directive in my location
> block for my repository.  I'm not sure if you need those two for .htaccess
> but if all else fails try adding "DAV svn" first.

Yeah, I'll mess around with it some more and see what I can work out.

> Hopefully this will give you enough ammunition to figure out how DH wants
> you to do it.

It should.

--
It's not much, but it's what I call 127.0.0.1