[svlug] Unified Password Protection for Multiple Services

Benjamin Floering floering at ieee.org
Mon Apr 2 00:07:28 PDT 2007

Chris,

Yup, you can do it all using .htaccess and it would go something like:

AuthUserFile /path/to/your/htpasswd/file
AuthName "Your Website"
AuthType Basic
Require valid-user

and then proceed to add users using htpasswd (or htpasswd2 as it is on my
gentoo boxen) and running man htpasswd (or htpasswd2) will tell you how to
do it easily.

I have never done this with .htaccess tho but in theory it should work.  In
my httpd.conf I have "DAV svn" and an SVNParentPath directive in my location
block for my repository.  I'm not sure if you need those two for .htaccess
but if all else fails try adding "DAV svn" first.

Hopefully this will give you enough ammunition to figure out how DH wants
you to do it.

Ben