[svlug] new disk is installed
alvin at mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Wed Sep 20 06:19:20 PDT 2006
hi ya svlug'erz
- o key dough key ..
- i just finished installing "test" ( etch ) into the
new 300GB seagate disk ..
- i did aptitude update and dist-upgrade
but i didnt check for anything much else
but it did get a newer kernel
- see below for all the gory fun details of hair pulling
- time for bedtime
first time around ... cdrom and cd media didn't like each otehr
so it hung during the installs ( 2x )
- cdrom keep skipping around ..
2nd time around ... new cdrom drive worked fine but i used
jfs for all partitions ... guess the installer doesn't like jfs
- the install hung on portmap ... and didnt get to load
the mbr ..
- knoppix couldnt mount the rootfs either ...
3rd time around ... xfs the sucker ...
- now it hangs on printconf since there is no printer
installed on the pc .. after timeout ( 5min? ) ..
it seems to go thru okay ...
- lilo is a wee bit old too
- the silly "icon" on the upper right is good for
windoze winie's to do an "automated online update"
w/o typing "aptitude update ... etc .. "
oh well ... at least the old systemis now back online
and we now have a new system disk up now ..
oldpc# mount /New-home /mnt/new-home
oldpc# cd /old-home ; cp -dpar * /mnt/new-home
and do the same for any other user data
( you guyz can do that )
than make a tape or dvd media or something
harden the sucker too ( the new disk )
More information about the svlug