[svlug] Fwd: Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:22:15 PDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Lord Sauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
> > Because the people who made Eclipse couldn't imagine someone ever
> > using a local repository and didn't build that support into Eclipse.
>
> Although you could certainly correct the Eclipse Java source and just
> re-run it through javac, this makes me wonder why you didn't just one
> one of the much _better_ SCMs that Eclipse also supports with trivially
> installed plugins, such as Subversion.  (See, e.g., Subclipse,
> http://subclipse.tigris.org/.)

Yes, but then when the next version comes out that will get
overwritten, so I'll have to patch it again...

> > I know, use svn, perforce, whatever.  CVS is simple, quick and to the
> > point so I use it.
>
> CVS users divide between those who've already encountered scrambled
> repositories and merge nightmares, and those who're slated to at some
> indeterminate point in the near future.  I'm not saying your "kink is
> not OK"; I'm just letting you know that there _are_ cures you can
> acquire whenever you're tired of the pain of CVS and ready for something
> with atomic commits, sensible defaults for non-text file handling, and
> other modern comforts.
>
> Basically, CVS never was very good at all, in either design or
> implementation, and I was just trying to save you from wasting time on
> it, if nothing's forcing you to use it.

I'll go install subversion then if CVS is really all that bad...

> > > And remember:  Git is the new RCS:
> > > https://monkey.linuxworld.com/SecretWeapons.html
> >
> > Ah, but I already know RCS and it works just fine for work around the
> > desktop.  I'm not building the linux kernel - rcs works fine ; )
>
> RCS bears up surprisingly well, though unlike the SCCS diff format
> (which has seen new life in many modern SCMs' back ends), it was an
> evolutionary dead end.  However, it doesn't deal correctly with metadata
> of any kind, nor any even slightly unusual type of file, nor is it
> extensible to networks and multiple users, as are Git and other
> leading-edge SCMs.

I use it for work around the desktop.  There's only one user (me) and
all I want it to do is keep a record of all past revisions of files.
Works perfectly for what I use it for.

> In consequence, it's very successful for a limited problem domain,
> e.g., retaining versioning information on SVLUG's HTML and other Web
> source -- because multiple variations on file ownership need not be
> tracked, nor other file metadata, nor multiuser access controls, nor
> network-mediated access.  The moment you need any of those other things,
> you're screwed.

Good thing I don't need to do that yet!

> > That got into the beginnings of a huge war over who's opinion of what
> > a "server" is and what kind of threats you should guard your network
> > against is better.
>
> Good heavens:  workstation/server conceptual dichotomies are not worth
> being worked up over, but you _did_ (impliedly) ask me what I meant, so
> I obliged.

Yes, I just found myself replying and thought (as I've taught myself
to think) "what the hell does this have to do with what we were
originally discussing?"

So I snipped it and left it for dead.  Just trying to prevent a thread
hijacking, however unintentional it may be.

> I hope the system work goes well.  nmap and the others will probably be
> interesting to work with; enjoy!

Very interesting.  Thanks for your input - with any luck, I'll have at
least a moderately secure and stable server.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+