[svlug] Fwd: Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 24 11:40:23 PDT 2006

Quoting Lord Sauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):

> Because the people who made Eclipse couldn't imagine someone ever
> using a local repository and didn't build that support into Eclipse.

Although you could certainly correct the Eclipse Java source and just
re-run it through javac, this makes me wonder why you didn't just one
one of the much _better_ SCMs that Eclipse also supports with trivially
installed plugins, such as Subversion.  (See, e.g., Subclipse,
http://subclipse.tigris.org/.)

> I know, use svn, perforce, whatever.  CVS is simple, quick and to the
> point so I use it.

CVS users divide between those who've already encountered scrambled
repositories and merge nightmares, and those who're slated to at some
indeterminate point in the near future.  I'm not saying your "kink is
not OK"; I'm just letting you know that there _are_ cures you can
acquire whenever you're tired of the pain of CVS and ready for something
with atomic commits, sensible defaults for non-text file handling, and
other modern comforts.

Basically, CVS never was very good at all, in either design or
implementation, and I was just trying to save you from wasting time on
it, if nothing's forcing you to use it.

> > And remember:  Git is the new RCS:
> > https://monkey.linuxworld.com/SecretWeapons.html
>
> Ah, but I already know RCS and it works just fine for work around the
> desktop.  I'm not building the linux kernel - rcs works fine ; )

RCS bears up surprisingly well, though unlike the SCCS diff format
(which has seen new life in many modern SCMs' back ends), it was an
evolutionary dead end.  However, it doesn't deal correctly with metadata
of any kind, nor any even slightly unusual type of file, nor is it
extensible to networks and multiple users, as are Git and other
leading-edge SCMs.

In consequence, it's very successful for a limited problem domain,
e.g., retaining versioning information on SVLUG's HTML and other Web
source -- because multiple variations on file ownership need not be
tracked, nor other file metadata, nor multiuser access controls, nor
network-mediated access.  The moment you need any of those other things,
you're screwed.

> Funny thing is that I never used/got to know what telnet is.

The telnet _tool_ (or, equivalently, netcat) remains essential, for
doing diagnostic SMTP sessions and for other such things.  The telnet
network access _protocol_ is now useful only in special circumstances,
isolated setups, and/or with authentication modifications or
SSL-tunneling (all of which the various detail freaks among us are
welcome to detail here, if they so wish).

> Yeah, I know, I'm young, aren't I?

It's potentially curable.  ;->

> That got into the beginnings of a huge war over who's opinion of what
> a "server" is and what kind of threats you should guard your network
> against is better.

Good heavens:  workstation/server conceptual dichotomies are not worth
being worked up over, but you _did_ (impliedly) ask me what I meant, so
I obliged.

I hope the system work goes well.  nmap and the others will probably be
interesting to work with; enjoy!