[svlug] Fwd: Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 20:25:43 PDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 23, 2006 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: [svlug] Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>

On 10/23/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Lord Sauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
>
> > Yes, I do try and keep with what distros supply wherever possible,
> > since I do appreciate the auto-updating feature.
>
> Whenever you _do_ go outside the packaging system (e.g., for unpackaged
> Web apps), do try to remember that downside:  None of them will ever get
> updates, and you'll probably never even see security advisories, withou
> your being on top of the matter personally, pre-1994-style.
>
> [disadvantages of pserver:]
>
> > Unless you're like me and running it locally.  It's hard to catch
> > packets off of somebody else's loopback device.
>
> Um, I might be missing something, but, if you're using a local
> repository, why use a network mechanism at all, even a loopback one?

Because the people who made Eclipse couldn't imagine someone ever
using a local repository and didn't build that support into Eclipse.

> Anyway, I feel a little dirty, even reminding myself of how to use CVS
> in 2006.  CVS is so last millennium.  See:  "SCM" on
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Devtools/

I know, use svn, perforce, whatever.  CVS is simple, quick and to the
point so I use it.

> And remember:  Git is the new RCS:
> https://monkey.linuxworld.com/SecretWeapons.html

Ah, but I already know RCS and it works just fine for work around the
desktop.  I'm not building the linux kernel - rcs works fine ; )

> > >sftp is _not ftp_.  That's a frequent bad assumption people make, based
> > >just on the similarity of name.  But they implement different protocols
> > >entirely.
> >
> > Do they do somewhat the same thing?
>
> Yes, in more or less the same way telnet and ssh do.

Funny thing is that I never used/got to know what telnet is.

Yeah, I know, I'm young, aren't I?

<snip>

That got into the beginnings of a huge war over who's opinion of what
a "server" is and what kind of threats you should guard your network
against is better.

I agree to disagree there.

</snip>

I'll find one or two good tools in addition to nmap and start working.
 Right now my server is going through some runlevel issues (net.eth0
is starting but apache, ssh and the rest of the gang say it isn't -
most curious problem I've ever seen) so don't expect to hear from me
again for a little while.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+

--