[svlug] If interested at kickstarting Ubuntu at SVLUG Installfest, email me

Ubuntu California Team (Mark Nielsen) ubuntu.ca.team at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:52:50 PDT 2006

Hello guys,

I am looking at the Ubuntu kickstart options, and it seems doable.
I would like to create some kickstart floppies (if possible anymore) and cds
which have nothing more than the ks.cfg file which installation files from
some website (or local area network).
Perhaps creating a "Kickstart Ubuntu CD" which has basic options and a menu
exlpaining how to do kickstarts and which options you can change could be a
project in of itself. I always like to download the latest version of
Ubuntu, and I get annoyed creating cds that are useless 6 months later. It
would be nice to have a "Kickstart Ubuntu CD" which is nothing more than a
dummy cd to help point you at the right version of Ubuntu you want and
install it. Even if the "Kickstart" cd has to be the same version as the
software it downloads and installs, it would at least get rid of the need to
carry Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, etc. Something like booting the cd and
downloding the "ks.cfg" file from a website is what I am thinking about.
Making the kickstart cd very user-friendly would be key. Something like
choosing options from drop-down menus would be cool.

If you are interested at helping setup a simple kickstart environment at our
next SVLUG Installfest, please email me directly at
*ubuntu.ca.team at gmail.com*

Thanks!
Mark

--