[svlug] Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:25:43 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Lord Sauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
> > On 10/21/06, Holt Sorenson <hso at nosneros.net> wrote:
>
> > > Looks like the list-serv doesn't allow attachments, since your
> > > config appears to not be attached to this message.
> >
> > Oops.
>
> <hat="listadmin">
> Actually, the mailing list configuration (and MTA) by design does
> nothing to prevent you from attaching files.  It doesn't even look at
> such things, and puts limits only on total message byte count -- which
> is capped at some reasonable value like 40kB.  Thus, I suspect you just
> forgot the file-attach.

You're right.  Looking at the archive I didn't send the attachement.

> > Oops.

> Protecting yourself against e-mailed "viruses" and other legendary
> creatures that go bump in the night is list-members' own affair.  ;->

I miss getting viruses.  Sorta boring with linux... everything works,
so there's nothing to fix all the time.

> </hat>
>
> Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer at neuralscape.com) wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 11:41:08PM -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:
> > > iptables will have to do until I can scratch up the money
> > > for a good hardware firewall that doesn't have that weakness with the
> > > password thing.
>
> > Linux networking is state of the art. Use your brain. Save your money.
>
> You tell it, sistah!

So while I'm here, is there any software-based firewall for linux
that's free that's better than/works well beside iptables that I
should know about?

I'm asking because I'm about to place the server on the network at a
point *before* the hardware firewall.  This will be a server on the
net with NO hardware firewall protection.  I just want to make sure it
doesn't go down like a fly hitting the windshield of a motorhome
flying down the freeway at seventy miles an hour.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+