[svlug] Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 23 09:49:59 PDT 2006

Quoting Lord Sauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
> On 10/21/06, Holt Sorenson <hso at nosneros.net> wrote:

> > Looks like the list-serv doesn't allow attachments, since your
> > config appears to not be attached to this message.
>
> Oops.

<hat="listadmin">
Actually, the mailing list configuration (and MTA) by design does
nothing to prevent you from attaching files.  It doesn't even look at
such things, and puts limits only on total message byte count -- which
is capped at some reasonable value like 40kB.  Thus, I suspect you just
forgot the file-attach.

Protecting yourself against e-mailed "viruses" and other legendary
creatures that go bump in the night is list-members' own affair.  ;->
</hat>

Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer at neuralscape.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 11:41:08PM -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:
> > iptables will have to do until I can scratch up the money
> > for a good hardware firewall that doesn't have that weakness with the
> > password thing.

> Linux networking is state of the art. Use your brain. Save your money.

You tell it, sistah!