[svlug] Configuring Server - SSH Trouble + Security Considerations

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 18:09:24 PDT 2006

I'm building my server now.

I'm installing Apache 1.3, and I've set it up with a dynamic dns alias
at fsdev.dnsalias.net.

I'm having a little trouble with OpenSSH though.  I can use it just
fine when I use it locally (ie. ssh -l root 192.168.1.110) but when I
try to go through the Internet (ssh -l root fsdev.dnsalias.net) it
repeatedly tells me:

ssh: connect to host fsdev.dnsalias.net port 22: Connection refuse

I look through the manpages and the Gentoo Docs, Wiki, and the OpenSSH
website, however, I can't figure out what the problem is (I'm assuming
it's a configuration problem).

To alleviate fears that I didn't check that the DNS servers weren't
yet linked to the machine, I tried connecting using the IP that
http://checkip.dyndns.org/ gave me (using wget to get the page and
then reading it with less- a little HTML-ish, but not that bad).

Attached is my sshd_config file for any of those who need a laugh.
You can tell just how incredibly naïve I am.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/fixits you can provide!

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+