[svlug] More on the Reiser case - fs

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 09:55:48 PDT 2006

>From my own, limited experience in a 24x7 production environment I'd
like to comment that reiserfs did often not live up to the task.

Ext3 is slower, has it's own set of drawbacks but is rock-solid in
comparison. This seems closely related to a considerable drop in
quality of the SuSE-10.0 distribution.

Also, because reiserfs is no longer the default file system on new SuSE
installations it doesn't mean it's going away.

Finally SuSE could have simply changed the name if it feared the
possibility to be associated with a "murder suspect".

The case "Hans Reiser" is sad - that's imho all that can be stated
about it with certainty.

Roland