[svlug] [fwd] FLOSS Usability III! [Oct. 27-29, Mountain View]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 12 01:43:10 PDT 2006

Quoting Scott Hess (scott at doubleu.com):

> I don't think you have to reach that far.  The posting had nothing
> directly useful for anyone who isn't already involved with the
> project.

Of course, as I'm sure you realised but are currently disregarding, my
point had more to do with this rather lame and self-parodying "FLOSS"
term generally, the likelihood of it being a liability, and the fact
that I rather resent that likelihood and wish it would go away.

> Same sort of thing happened for the concept of "open source".

One difference of course being that the coinage "open source" was highly
useful in getting our basic notions across to the uninitiated -- among
whom "FLOSS", by contrast, is already tending to make us look like yet
another self-marginalised crank group with a bizarrely amusing name.

I thus worry about the good judgement of projects that consciously
further that damage.