[svlug] [fwd] FLOSS Usability III! [Oct. 27-29, Mountain View]

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Wed Oct 11 23:59:59 PDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Joe Buck (Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM):
> > This event isn't being "sold" to the general public.
>
> And yet it's the sort of thing that makes us look clueless when the
> public _does_ encounter it.  As such, I very much don't appreciate it.

I don't think you have to reach that far.  The posting had nothing
directly useful for anyone who isn't already involved with the
project.  Not even a small paragraph on the order of:

  The FLOSS event is an intensive session of face-to-face collaboration
  across diverse projects to improve usability of entire open-source systems.

Actually, that's just my best guess, the website itself doesn't really
tell me what the project's goals are, I'm just doing my best to read
between the lines.  AFAICT, the only reason one would attend this
conference is because a friend who attended a previous iteration
convinced you (which is really a good reason to attend _any_
conference!).

[I don't mean to imply that it's a bad idea.  A bit of web searching
turns up a lot of enthusistic participants, which seems like a good
sign.  Maybe it's like the concept of "blogging", where for many years
there was this nebulous set of things which didn't have a unifying
concept, then pretty much overnight everything cohered, and now it's
impossible to recall why it was so nebulous before.  Same sort of
thing happened for the concept of "open source".]

-scott