[svlug] [fwd] FLOSS Usability III! [Oct. 27-29, Mountain View]

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Wed Oct 11 18:11:51 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 05:22:31PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Bill Kendrick quoted Eugene Eric Kim:
>
> > FLOSS Usability Sprint III is here and happening -- for real!
>
> Many people know what open source is.  Some (fewer than we'd like) know
> what free software is.  Say "FLOSS" to the uninitiated, though, and
> they'll think only of dental hygeine, unless you...
>
> 1.  First explain open source,
> 2.  Then explain free software,
> 3.  And finally explain an acronym that's impenetrable
>     without grokking the other two things, first.
>
> I do hope the event goes well.  I also hope they lose the name scheme,
> which is a serious marketing mis-step.

The name is a (perhaps clumsy) effort to end political battles between
various developer camps by throwing in everyone's favorite names.  If the
audience is free software, um, libre software, um, open source developers,
then they'll know what it means, and maybe they won't go for each others'
throats.  This event isn't being "sold" to the general public.