[svlug] question about GNU screen

Brian Bilbrey bilbrey at orbdesigns.com
Tue Oct 10 16:07:32 PDT 2006

Aniruddha Mulay wrote:
> When I reconnect to the remote machine, my earlier screen
> session is still alive (as expected). So, I can re-attach to the
> old session and continue working.
>
> Is there a way, I can continue with my Vim session that was
> running under screen ?

Are you saying that Vim is *not* still up when you reconnect to the
remote machine then type "screen -r"? That would be ... um, unusual.
Screen sessions have always, in my experience, been in precisely the
state they were in when I left them (or some later state, if I left a
evolving process, say a compile or similar).

So, the short answer to your question is yes. Vim should still be
running when you reconnect first to the remote system, then reattach the
screen session with screen -r. So you'll still be working in your Vim
session.

Does this answer your question?

.brian

--
Brian Bilbrey : http://www.orbdesigns.com/
	"Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down yeoman Rand and a six-pack."