[svlug] Possible Topics for General Meetings

mark weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Wed Oct 4 11:15:06 PDT 2006

I have volunteered to be the SVLUG speaker coordinator for a while.
I would like to know from you the sorts of topics that you would like to hear
about.

Some topics that interest me include:
* virtualization
* Internet regulation (politicians pondering the Internet see it as entirely
too free, successful, unfettered, and untaxed to just leave it alone)
* development frameworks, IDEs, etc.
* AJAX
* licensing, GPL (including the emerging GPL3), implications for us
* open source business models (what's up with these offerings where there is a
cost-free version and a paid version?)
* file system evolution including ZFS
* Voice over IP including PBXs like Asterisk
* Ways to Make a Living in the Open Source World

But I'd really like to hear from you. Are these topics of interest? What
additional topics should we pursue? Is the format OK-that is, a short talk of
ten minutes or so followed by the main speaker of the evening?

Please let me know your ideas by sending mail to the entire SVLUG or to me or
talking with me at meetings.
Thanks.
Mark