[svlug] gotten myself in trouble with permalinks,

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 26 11:36:36 PST 2006

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> Once other sites start making incoming links, though,
> you have to do something, and it usually isn't
> possible to get every maintainer of every incoming
> link to fix theirs.

Absolutely.

If it's just two or three pages, my personal inclination is to just put
something like this at the old location:

<head>
<title>Page Has Moved</title>
</head>

update your hyperlinks and bookmarks.  You will be forwarded to it in 5
seconds.  If your browser does not support automatic refresh, please
select the above link to jump to the correct page.</p>

Old-timers may remember a significant problem SVLUG once had in 1997, when
president Dan Kionka had maintained a Web page for the group (then
officially called "SVCS Linux SIG")  at his then-employer, but then left
that firm and left the (now-obsolete and misleading) Web page still
posted, there.  Meanwhile, a group of Linux enthusiasts at VA Research
had registered the svlug.org domain and hosted a _new_ Web site there
with correct meeting information, etc.

I kept bothering Dan about the obsolete Web page, pointing out that
almost certainly we were losing potential attendees like made, when they
followed instructions on Dan's obsolete Web pages and came to the
meeting location on the wrong night.  Eventually, Dan explained that he
didn't feel comfortable telneting in, to maintain the page, because he
no longer worked there.  So, I e-mailed him an HTML snippet like the
above, saying "Please ask the sysadmins at your old firm to replace your
pages with this."

FYI:  I happen to have a copy of Dan's 1997 front page, here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/daniel-kionka.html  Yes, it does
say 1st Wednesdays, but SVLUG had for a while switched to a diferent
date formula, and only later switched back.

P.S.:  Of course, hardly anyone ever "updates hyperlinks and bookmarks",
but one asks, anyway.