[svlug] motherboard recommendations

Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Tue Mar 21 19:01:25 PST 2006

My Athlon XP system is getting a little long in the tooth, so it's time to
build a new white box postgresql test box/workstation. I will need to run X on
this box, so a PCIe slot is desirable. Have any of you folks evaluated the
latest Socket 939 boards on the market these days? I'd like to find something
that doesn't have terrible SATA disk performance. I'm planning to install
Gentoo x86_64 on it and run software raid, so I won't be using the fakeraid
controllers as raid.  I have been eyeing the Abit AN8 32X board, but I don't
really need SLI, though having an extra PCI-e might be nice in the future
(assuming I could actually use it for a disk controller or something else).

If you respond off-list, I'll summarize and post the results back.

Thanks for any input.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff at frostconsultingllc.com>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954