[svlug] Multi drive PCI SATA card/port multiplier/Esata

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Mar 21 12:31:58 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:58:12AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Or maybe I should just buy 3 of these:
> > http://www.satasite.com/4-port-serial-ata-ii-raid.htm
> > since Rick's page indicates that Silicon Image 3124 is supported.
>
> Wow, good vendor to know about.

So, reporting back, I got both the Sil 3114 and 3124 to show up under
linux, at 1.5Gbit/s and 3Gbit/s respectively.

Unfortunately, the port multipliers are a little more of an issue. Only
the first drive in them shows up, making them a bit useless :)
Apparently, Sil has a binary driver which is supposed to support them,
but I don't care much for that for obvious reasons :)

So, not so much for this guy yet, although there may be light at the end
of the tunnel, I'll post more if I get further
http://store.yahoo.com/fire-wire-1394-ilink/saiipomupcbf.html

BTW, this thing comes with an Esata connector, aka an external sata
connector which is subbtlely different from the regular connector, and
so widespread that hardly anyone sells any.
I don't love fry's but I kind of value being able to drive 5mn to pick
up a few cables that I might not have at home. They don't have any Esata
though, and many online stores don't either.

Whoever came with that bright idea of a new Esata connector deserves
lots of bad karma...

Marc