[svlug] Best FTP Server

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Mar 9 11:36:32 PST 2006

Ron Guerin writes:
> just being an enabler of poor practices.  I bit the bullet, banned FTP,
> and got all my users using scp/sftp.  I haven't looked back since.  Four
> years ago, the choices (at least for the Windows people) were a lot more
> limited, but today, SFTP is pretty well supported by Windows clients.

Is there a Linux client that can give an interactive shell with
autocompletion, like ncftp, over an ssh link? And store password
and initial directory settings?

I tend not to enable ftpd on my machines, but then my husband gripes
because he can't get files using autocompletion like he can with
ncftp over ftp. I've suggested logging in via ssh, using a shell
to explore using autocompletion, then use scp to get the files, but
it's several extra steps compared to ncftp. Also, ncftp allows for
saving passwords and initial directories easily (with low security,
but for home machines behind a firewall that's not so worrisome).

I mostly use scp myself, but he does have a point and I haven't
been able to suggest anything for ssh copies that's as easy to use
as ncftp. Suggestions?

	...Akkana