[svlug] Best FTP Server

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Thu Mar 9 11:14:25 PST 2006

Mark Symonds wrote:
> I kicked proftpd to the curb a few years ago in favor of pureftpd:

About 4 years ago, I decided I wanted a bit more from my ftpd than the
ancient BSD one I was running could give me.  Initially I selected
ProFTPD, and then discovered it had a poor security record, and
unconvincing prospects for improvement.

That led me to Pure-ftpd, which I installed, ran, liked very much, and
still have today for anonymous FTP.

However,... as I looked upon my shiny new FTP server, I realized I was
just being an enabler of poor practices.  I bit the bullet, banned FTP,
and got all my users using scp/sftp.  I haven't looked back since.  Four
years ago, the choices (at least for the Windows people) were a lot more
limited, but today, SFTP is pretty well supported by Windows clients.
Microsoft ironically and unsurprisingly is living in the stone age with
those dinosaurs they use in their ads, but virtually everyone else
(including Dreamweaver) supports SFTP.

So where does one get a SCP/SFTP service?  Most people reading this
probably already have one even if they don't know it.

  http://openssh.org/

- Ron