[svlug] sid, amd64 and kde (but also gnome)

lordSauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:44:22 PST 2006

On 3/6/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
>
> > Has anyone succeded to install kde on sid amd64?
> >
> > I can't get rid of this problem:
> >
> > kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.1-3) but 4:3.5.1-2 is
> > installed. Depends: kdelibs-bin (>= 4:3.5.1-3) but 4:3.5.1-2 is
> > installed.
> >
> > I installed all kde packages separately.. but still kde-core and
> > kdebase complain and I'm stuck without kde.

I had that same problem a while back.  I couldn't make it work...

> > I got a similar problem with gnome.
> >
> > testing has the same problem.
> >
> > Any chance that deb developers are going to fix it shortly?
> >
> > I'd prefer to stay with debian, but at this moment I feel a bit
> > desperate so I'd consider other distros.
> >
> > It seems that kde apps can work in Windowmaker at least.
>
> That's always been the case with Window Maker (my personal usual
> preference for window manager, as it happens).

I have WindowMaker installed now, and it's very... different.  I'm not
sure if that's in a good or bad way yet, but it is a interesting
variation.

> Your question is sort of the flip side of lordSauron's question concerning
> rationale for a [K]Ubuntu server variant:  One thing aobut sid
> (unstable), and more so with Debian-testing, is that certain dependency
> hairballs (GNOME, KDE, and -- at times in the past -- Mozilla
> derivatives) sometimes get their pieces upgraded not all at the same
> time, occasionally leading to "you can't get there from here" problems
> that persist until things are in harmony for a stretch.  This is part of
> the price of being on the bleeding edge.  Most of the time it works fine
> (especially if as you mentioned you install packages separately, rather
> than the big metapackages), but occasionally there's a snarl.
>
> At the risk of seeming like I'm on an Ubuntu kick, I'd encourage you to
> consider cutting that AMD64 workstation over to Kubuntu-AMD64.  If you
> do this _now_ (March 2006), you can be on the well-tested "Breezy
> Badger" (v.5.10) release -- though you're one month away from "Dapper
> Drake (v.  6.04).  Here's how to parse [K]Ubuntu release numbers:

With [K]Ubuntu AMD64 you'll also enjoy OpenOffice.org for AMD64,
something that other distros don't support without tweaking some
things.  The Ubuntu people really just changed a few things to get it
to get past the dependency checking, because the true name of the
AMD64 arch is x86_64, so it's really just a extension of standard x86
- all x86 stuff can run natively, though if it's got the _64 part it
should run ~10% faster (according to some guy who built a rather
impressive benchmarking program, that is)

>      6.04
>      ^ ^^
>      |  ---- Month (April)
>      ------- Year (2006)

So that's the method to their madness...  so in a double-diget year
it'll be something like 12.03 or something?

> So, yes, Breezy Badger really was released in October 2005.  They've so
> far hit their release targets precisely as planned, all the way back to
> Warty Warthog v. 4.10 in October 2004.
>
> To a great extent, [K]Ubuntu _is_ (sort of) Debian:  Their team forks
> off Debian-unstable every six months and works to stabilise contents
> with particular emphasis on GNOME and KDE, and doing so only for their
> three CPU platforms (i386, x86-64, PPC).  The main rationale for their
> separate distro in the first place was a desire to have a sid-equivalent
> with stable GNOME (and later, KDE) package sets.
>
> You may expect some minor road-bumps during apt-get conversion:
> http://helllabs.org/blog/20051123/sid-and-breezy
>
> In case it was not obvious:
>
> "Ubuntu" = shared Ubuntu core OS + GNOME metapackage "ubuntu-desktop"
> "Kubuntu" = shared Ubuntu core OS + KDE metapackage "kubuntu-desktop"
>
> Since you're interested in both "desktop environments", you'd want to
> install both metapackages.
>
> If feeling adventuresome, you could of course cut over to the "Dapper
> Drake" (v. 6.04) track, instead.  You might even have fewer conversion
> road-bumps.

If you do this, here's my best advice:

get the Dapper CD/DVD, NOT the Breezy ones.  Upgrading from Breezy to
Dapper is *extrememly* painful (trust me - I just did it!).

If you want KDE 3.5 instead of 3.4 (which is the current standard for
5.10) then there are non-Dapper but still KDE 3.5 repositories you can
add which will upgrade you with much less pain than will the
Breezy->Dapper upgrade.

Also, I heard that they're about to release a new Ubuntu version, so
the Gnome side of Dapper is buzzing with activity.  I don't think I've
ever gotten a fully built package listing from the Dapper
repositories...

However, it's still extremely stable.  It hasn't crashed or died on me yet...

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+