[svlug] sid, amd64 and kde (but also gnome)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 6 09:31:07 PST 2006

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> Has anyone succeded to install kde on sid amd64?
>
> I can't get rid of this problem:
>
> kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.1-3) but 4:3.5.1-2 is
> installed. Depends: kdelibs-bin (>= 4:3.5.1-3) but 4:3.5.1-2 is
> installed.
>
> I installed all kde packages separately.. but still kde-core and
> kdebase complain and I'm stuck without kde.
>
> I got a similar problem with gnome.
>
> testing has the same problem.
>
> Any chance that deb developers are going to fix it shortly?
>
> I'd prefer to stay with debian, but at this moment I feel a bit
> desperate so I'd consider other distros.
>
> It seems that kde apps can work in Windowmaker at least.

That's always been the case with Window Maker (my personal usual
preference for window manager, as it happens).

Your question is sort of the flip side of lordSauron's question concerning
rationale for a [K]Ubuntu server variant:  One thing aobut sid
(unstable), and more so with Debian-testing, is that certain dependency
hairballs (GNOME, KDE, and -- at times in the past -- Mozilla
derivatives) sometimes get their pieces upgraded not all at the same
time, occasionally leading to "you can't get there from here" problems
that persist until things are in harmony for a stretch.  This is part of
the price of being on the bleeding edge.  Most of the time it works fine
(especially if as you mentioned you install packages separately, rather
than the big metapackages), but occasionally there's a snarl.

At the risk of seeming like I'm on an Ubuntu kick, I'd encourage you to
consider cutting that AMD64 workstation over to Kubuntu-AMD64.  If you
do this _now_ (March 2006), you can be on the well-tested "Breezy
Badger" (v.5.10) release -- though you're one month away from "Dapper
Drake (v.  6.04).  Here's how to parse [K]Ubuntu release numbers:

     6.04
     ^ ^^
     |  ---- Month (April)
     ------- Year (2006)

So, yes, Breezy Badger really was released in October 2005.  They've so
far hit their release targets precisely as planned, all the way back to
Warty Warthog v. 4.10 in October 2004.

To a great extent, [K]Ubuntu _is_ (sort of) Debian:  Their team forks
off Debian-unstable every six months and works to stabilise contents
with particular emphasis on GNOME and KDE, and doing so only for their
three CPU platforms (i386, x86-64, PPC).  The main rationale for their
separate distro in the first place was a desire to have a sid-equivalent
with stable GNOME (and later, KDE) package sets.

You may expect some minor road-bumps during apt-get conversion:
http://helllabs.org/blog/20051123/sid-and-breezy

In case it was not obvious:

"Ubuntu" = shared Ubuntu core OS + GNOME metapackage "ubuntu-desktop"
"Kubuntu" = shared Ubuntu core OS + KDE metapackage "kubuntu-desktop"

Since you're interested in both "desktop environments", you'd want to
install both metapackages.

If feeling adventuresome, you could of course cut over to the "Dapper
Drake" (v. 6.04) track, instead.  You might even have fewer conversion
road-bumps.