[svlug] IBM certifies Ubuntu as a stable platform for DB2

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 6 01:20:32 PST 2006

Quoting lordSauron (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):

> I hear they're also releasing a server package for it, which makes no
> sense to me because Debian would be much more suited to a server than
> Ubuntu - Ubuntu doesn't have as many pieces of software as does
> Debian, particularly in the area of server-stuff.

It's an intriguing idea, and I'm trying right now to figure out the
plusses and minuses, on the fly, since you raised the question.  My
spur-of-the-moment guess is that they want to be Debian-testing for
nervous people.  ;->

That is, Debian-stable is infamously trailing-edge on package versions
and infamously infrequently released.  Debian-unstable is bleeding edge
with occasional emphasis on blood.  Debian-testing is nearly the same
as Debian-testing, but filtered through automated quarantining scripts
for _some_ level of quality assurance -- though you're well advised to
follow it only after learning the ropes of Debian generally, able to
deal with minor packaging-system glitches, and able to ensure
security-update coverage.

With several releases under their belt, each time exactly on schedule,
the Ubuntu people have a credible record for not only doing their own
quality-assurance on a maintained subset of (a periodic fork of)
Debian-unstable packages, but also for hitting their six-month release
targets.

Personally, I look forward to it -- even if I mainly see it as just yet
another means for installing Debian.  ;->