[svlug] VPS/VDS

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 12:30:33 PST 2006

On 3/4/06, Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> on Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:28:50PM -0800, Sargun Dhillon (xbmodder at gmail.com) wrote:
> > I am starting up a VPS/VDS company. I would really like to know what you
> > guys like in a VPS?
>
> A definition of the term.

First choice for each term on http://www.acronymfinder.com is...

VPS = Virtual Private Server
VDS = Virtual Dedicated Server

Given that Sargun's company is using xen I'm guessing these are accurate.

So... what I would like from a service like this is to have it know
what I've got
installed there and contact me when new versions of various components are
available.  Optimally it would upgrade those components for me based on my
email or web-based response to the email.

For example, reiber.org is running drupal.  Since it's a shared server, I can't
get them to update mySQL to the latest version.  Drupal has a number of
known problems with the version that's currently installed.  A VPS would
be awesome in this case; I could have whichever versions of apache, mySQL,
etc. I need on the server.

OK enough free advice :-)    ...Sargun, if you're interested in more ideas (and,
yes, I've got plenty more) I'm available as a consultant.

Regards,
-Paul Reiber
http://reiber.org