[svlug] web 2, ajax, gwt dev tools for Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 29 09:40:52 PDT 2006

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> I'm personally aware of:
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/winolj.html
> and I agree for the most part.

That guy?  What a loser.  I'll bet he doesn't even use MeetUp.  ;->

> Nevertheless I'd like to get a taste of how to build web rich clients
> using Linux development tools.  The focus is on RAD or rather rapid
> interface development.

Well, doing RAD development of Web-oriented rich clients doesn't
_necessarily_ mean you're outsourcing your data and processing.  You
might operate both ends, after all -- or participate in a peer-type
architecture of some sort.

> At the beginning I'd like to obtain faster response from the
> application using JavaScript to cache some data coming from a DB and
> have a couple of widget more (mainly trees) but missing a crystal ball
> I'd prefer to trade a more steepy learning curve for a more flexible
> tool.
>
> Of course I'd like to avoid to get trapped in any non Free development
> technology.

Well, when someone says "database", "rapid applicaiton development", and
"JavaScript", I naturally think first about Ruby on Rails, but I'm
possibly a bit biased in that area.  Something intriguing I recently saw
mentioned:  http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060626#waiting

    Rails Live CD. Rails Live CD is a live CD distribution based on
    PCLinuxOS and featuring the Ruby on Rails development environment.

    http://railslivecd.org/

May or may not be your cuppa, but it might be fun to try out.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                   Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.
rick at linuxmafia.com