[svlug] kaNOTix and AMD64

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 18:29:16 PDT 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 1:08 PM, bruce coston wrote:

> I have a bunch of cd's burned but not kaNOTix 64 for 64 bit
> machines , given how well kaNOTix works on various laptops it would
> have been my first choice. My page is http://
> b.coston.googlepages.com , I forget if i've mentioned any laptop
> stuff as it focuses on family desktop dialup

Thanks Bruce, I'll look into that, both on your homepage and
elsewhere (as soon as I'm done revising and suggesting fixes to the
index for the 2nd edition of my book "Python in a Nutshell" --
learned just this morning that the index is ready, and my deadline
for fixes is supposed to be Thu... fun, fun, fun, considering that
it's also a particularly busy period at work!-).

My new incredibly-cheap machine, as described here:

> eMachines D6417 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 256MB DDR / 80GB HDD /
> DVD+/-RW DL / Flash Media Reader / Windows XP Home / Refurbished
> Desktop PC (E400-D6417)

...is not a laptop, but rather a rather ordinary desktop PC (now
upgraded to 768MB RAM, which of course was pretty cheap too -- DDR400
DIMMs are anything but costly these days;-).  The laptop I also
mentioned as being my wife's is a Fujitsu Lifebook P1520 --
ultralight, 8.5" screen, Pentium M ULV, hybrid laptop/tablet... and
of course around the typical cost for those ultralights, i.e., about
_6 times_ as much as the above desktop... its ACPI is as
idiosyncratic as ever, as in some mysterious way it gets up to 11
hours battery life while staying <1Kg, so I'm not surprised Linux
distros had problem with it -- what astonishes me is getting so many
problem with a "common or garden" Athlon 64 cheap desktop like the
above one!

Thanks,

Alex