[svlug] looking for a usb network interface

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue Jun 20 09:39:53 PDT 2006

I'm dealing with the unfortunate problem of no
compatible network interface for my Debian 3.1r2
i386 (expert26) install media.

The hardware in question is a PenguinComputing.com
BladeRunner, ie no PCI for an additional card. The
hardware shipped with RedHat installed and the
vendor provided me with source (containing binary
objects) to build a module for the 2.6 series of
kernels.

I'd like to get Debian installed on these machines,
and I notice at least one available network driver
is USB based.

So my question is, what USB network interface would
be a good or best choice to bootstrap the machine
enough to get a custom kernel running with the
on-board hardware?

I see the CDROM has two kernels that are easily
replaced,

/install/2.6/vmlinuz
/install/vmlinuz

Are either of those the post install kernel? Or
are they kernels to boot the installer? If I made
a kernel to support the hardware, how would I get
the installer to to install it?  Looking for the
most straight forward method, maybe I should put my
kernel on the CDROM and manually install it from
console, after the regular install?

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org