[svlug] SBAY Pizza Reminder - Sat 1/21 7PM
ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri Jan 20 19:44:05 PST 2006
This reminder goes to everyone on sbay.org's mail lists, and CC to our SIGs:
SVLUG, Stratofox and SVWUX. Linux Picnic subscribers now receive this via
the announce at sbay.org list.
The next SBAY Pizza technical/social discussion will be Saturday, Jan 21.
Remember, SBAY Pizzas are on 3rd Saturdays at 7PM - mark your calendar.
* Event page: http://www.sbay.org/sbay-social.html
* Upcoming dates:
* 1st Quarter 2006
* January 21 - Round Table Pizza at 14940 Camden Ave (at Union), San Jose
Exit at Camden on Hwy 17 or Union on Hwy 85.
* February 18 - same as January location
* March 18 - same as January location
This location doesn't officially have WiFi. However SVWUX will try to
provide it via a bridge in the parking lot aimed at the SVWUX WiFi
repeater in the foothills to a member's residential network. We've
tested the link once but it's still an experiment.
Subjects for discussion: (besides informal talk that can cover any topic)
* SVWUX ( http://www.svwux.org/ ) members will explain the WiFi installation
which uses a dish to access the SVWUX repeater in the Los Gatos hills.
* It's a new year. It isn't too early to start talking about the Linux Picnic
especially since this year will be Linux's 15th anniversary. Picn*x15!!!
* Stratofox is looking for participants to help with range safety and
search/recovery at a suborbital space rocket launch in NM in March.
SBAY.ORG's monthly pizza gatherings remain informal after 12 years.
This forum has evolved over those years, following current interests of
Silicon Valley enthusiasts and professionals in electronic communications
and Open Source software.
Everyone usually buys their own food - but there have been a few times
that businesses or individuals picked up the tab. If a business wants
to sponsor an SBAY Pizza in order to make a presentation, it requires
prior approval - we'll poll the membership to verify the topic is in
demand. As always, it has to be a technical topic with us.
The format of the event is social discussion related to technical and
administrative aspects of of electronic communications systems with
emphasis on Open Source based systems. There is no agenda. We generally
talk until the restaurant closes, and sometimes continue outside. Topics
* Internet server administrivia, protocols, security, and development
* Wireless networking including but not limited to 802.11
* Ham Radio repeaters, transmitter hunting, and data communications
(Transmitter hunting topics can include rockets and high-altitude balloons)
* Usenet newsgroups and other electronic discussion forums
* IP and PSTN telephony
* Broadcast radio and television
* "SBC Blunder of the Month" (formerly "PacBell Blunder of the Month")
* Silicon Valley economic observations
* Silicon Valley local issues (and now including the Peninsula for BAFUG)
* more... bring up your own subject
Feel free to invite your friends if this format is of interest.
[Note: This message was approved by SVLUG officers for the SVLUG discussion
list. Non-SVLUG event notices now require such approval.]
More information about the svlug