[svlug] ISSUE: SVLUG's continued status with SBAY

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Sat Feb 25 15:12:31 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:59:47AM -0800, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> I just cited an example of someone possibly getting electrocuted. Now if
> that happened, that individual's family might not give a damn about the
> money. They might just want the folks responsible to be held accountable.

The way many small nonprofits deal with such fears is for the members of
the board of directors to get umbrella policies (my wife used to be on
the BoD of a nonprofit, and the nonprofit required the directors to be
so insured).  The same policy that covers you if someone trips on your
sidewalk can cover you if you're the decision-maker for a nonprofit that
messes up.  You don't even need separate coverage; if you're a homeowner
you may already have a policy that gives you the needed coverage.  If not,
it isn't that expensive and has other advantages.

> I believe the corporate liability shield might protect some or all of these
> SVLUG folks in such a case.

Umbrella policies are generally a better choice, because they cover the
SVLUG folks even if some court says that you screwed up as an individual,
not in your role as a corporate officer.